They appear to be intelligent and cuddly.
, but when they’re awake they’re quite playful and enjoyable to watch.
Though they do have a slightly musky odor, it’s not an offensive odor, and occasional bathing helps with this. Most ferrets sold in North America for pets also have been descented and neutered before purchase, and this assists in cutting any odor that they might otherwise have.
If you have ever owned a ferret, as I have, you know the title is well deserved. They’ll steal and conceal anything that appeals to them, particularly if it’s shiny and easy to carry off.
There are numerous excellent quality commercial ferret foods available on the market. It was a frequent misconception that you could feed a high quality cat food, but research indicates that a quality ferret food is suggested. The origin of the protein ought to be animal protein. . .vegetable protein isn’t sufficient for a ferret’s metabolism, since it’s indigestible to them. . Make certain to read the labels in your pet food supply shop to ensure adequate nutrition. You can give your ferret treats like apples, raisins and bananas or there are commercial treats available at your pet supply shop.
A ferret should have a cage that is big enough for them to maneuver in. They are quite active animals when awake, and it’s likely you’ll want to confine them to a cage when you’re not home.
Here are a few hints:
- Generally a ferret will use the box, and may be rewarded with a little treat when they do so.
- After the ferret is accustomed to using the litter box in the cage, then you may gradually move the litter box farther from the crate if you desire.
- When you ferret is out of the cage, then take them into the litter box regularly and reward them when they use the box with a great deal of praise and maybe a small treat.
- Ferrets back up to defecate or urinate, so in case you see your ferret backing into a corner when from the cage, then take them into the litter box.
They’ll play almost anything, so it is extremely important that the toys they have available to them are secure. Things that are sharp or have small parts which may be swallowed ought to be avoided. Soft rubber toys aren’t a great choice as ferrets have sharp teeth and will destroy them fast. Most of what a ferret plays ends up in it’s mouth, so it is similar to”babyproofing” your property. Tips for ferret toys:
- hard plastic balls
- hard rubber balls
- Things they could crawl into. .
- Paper bags and cardboard boxes
- small stuffed Raccoon Control
Remember. . .they will steal anything, so be certain that you”ferret proof” your home. Oh…I forgot….When I purchased my first ferret, I was told that they don’t climb.
After reading all this, if you’ve decided you still need to get a ferret, Good For You! They are beautiful, entertaining pets.